Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread & Hot Dog Buns

Love the way it looks!
I've been slowly trying new gluten free baked goods every week or so.  Due to their price, I have become very clever at eating without bread, so I don't need to buy as often as I did pre-GF.

The market near our kid's performance school is small, but packed with options.  I managed to find Canyon Bakehouse in the freezer section.  One of the things that is usually disappointing is the how small the slices of bread seem. I just wanted to have a Wonder bread looking bread.  I know that isn't really possible, but I still wanted to see that.  Their package of Mountain White looked pretty darn close!  The color and appealing texture to the bread was just what I wanted.  My craving this past month has been for a really good grilled cheese.  The kind with Havarti and Provolone and just enough butter to brown up the crust.  

We were also planning a nice bonfire at the beach (yes it's February and everyone is in buried in snow, but not here in So Cal!).  I love hotdogs and sausages at the beach.  The smell of a smoky fire is associated with those delicious dogs held just right by the toasted bun filled with toppings.  Canyon Bakehouse had buns that appeared fluffy and legitimately able to hold a sausage, so we grabbed those too.

My lil celiac girl has never liked sandwiches, so that part of eating GF has been easy.  However, when she heard I was making grilled cheese and she saw how good it looked in my pan, she was begging for one of her own.  I never thought she would like it.  Was I glad to be wrong!  She wolfed that sandwich down and promptly declared her love for the grilled cheese was now eternal.  To add to my surprise, my other daughter who does not eat GF, saw it and wanted one too.  I gave her mine and she happily ate hers and said she couldn't believe it was GF.
Grilled cheese, first time!

Finally, after making grilled cheese sandwiches for everyone else, I finally sat down to have mine.  The bread toasted nice and golden brown and it was crispy on the outside, soft and melty on the inside.  What is lacked in overall size, it made up for in its filling texture.  I was perfectly satiated after my small-ish sandwich and still surprised how much I enjoyed it.


The next night at the bonfire, we toasted up our buns and threw in hot dogs and sausages.  Again, to my surprise, my celiac kid ate the hot dog with the bun!!!  That is another first for her!  Everyone enjoyed those buns, and we felt we were not missing out on anything.  They even seemed to hold up better than the regular buns we brought for the rest of the family.  They were full of flavor but did not overwhelm.  I loved that they didn't turn crumbly when toasted.  

Nothing fell apart and the taste was awesome!

These two products from Canyon Bakehouse were home runs for our family.  If you are looking for a great white bread to replace your regular gluten sliced bread, this is a great one to start with.  We can't wait to try some of the other items from their line soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment