Sunday, February 9, 2014

Cheesy Cheeseburger Soup

Great soup...terrible picture!
Yup...Cheesy Cheeseburger Soup.  That might be too much cheese for the faint hearted, but I made this soup for those of use ready to get CHEESY!

Inspired by a recipe I saw, that I FORGOT to pin, this soup was a hit with me, my parents AND my kids.  My son has now begged me to make it at least once a week.  It is just a perfect warm-you-up hearty soup for this time of year.

Do not be scared of the ketchup/mustard in the soup!  It gives this recipe its distinctive "cheeseburger" taste.  The diced pickles are the BEST part of the recipe.  That crunch and dill flavor will really cut through the thick soup and brighten in a wonderful way for your tastebuds.

I do normally use turkey when possible, but using extra lean beef 90%/10% is really better tasting and keeps it lower fat.  As with most of my recipes, this one is gluten free.

Cheesy Cheeseburger Soup

4.5 cups beef broth
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
2 carrots peeled and diced
2 Tbl ketchup
1 Tbl yellow mustard
1 whole onion, diced
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 can evaporated milk, divided
3 Tbl corn starch
12 oz cubed Velveeta 2% reduced fat (if possible, or sub regular Velveeta)
Handful of Kosher pickles, diced
Optional 1 cup shredded cheddar for topping

Serves 10

  • Brown ground beef and onions with season salt in large pan and keep aside until needed.
  • In large pot, heat beef broth and add potatoes and carrots - simmer for 15 minutes
  • Add in cooled beef and onion
  • Add in all but 3 Tbl of evaporated milk
  • Add in cubed Velveeta and stir until melted
  • In small bowl, add corn starch to remaining evaporated milk and whisk until smooth
  • Add corn starch/water into soup
  • Simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened
  • Serve with optional cheese and then diced pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment