Sunday, February 23, 2014

Black Bean Brownies

Yep!  Made with black beans!

Seeing as how my husband and son were out at a Scouting event and my oldest daughter was at a friend's house, I decided to spend some fun time with my lil one baking some gluten free treats.
My kitchen helper

I had been given a black bean brownie recipe years ago, and I just couldn't make myself bake them.  The "ick" factor was too high for me.  Now that we are baking gluten free, I decided to give it another shot.

My daughter was understandably skeptical.  I can't blame her.  I actually didn't even take a picture because it smelled so questionable in the first stages.  Once we added in the cocoa, it definitely started to smell like real brownies!

We popped them in the oven and danced to some fun tunes while we waited for them to bake.  I loved spending some actual one-on-one time with my sweet girl.  
Ready to go in the oven
Daddy and brother arrived home just as we finished sampling the finished product.  The verdict?  The family is split.  Daddy and brother were not sold on these brownies.  Hubs said they tasted ok, but didn't like the texture.  The little one and myself enjoyed them, although we needed a fork to eat them.  They are very fudgy in consistency, but I like that.  The taste is reminiscent of a dark chocolate brownie with a hint of coffee.
Will she like them?

Can't argue with these kind of reviews!


They are easy to make, so give them a try!  Recipe via Taste of Home



Black Bean Brownies
  • 1 can 15oz black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 3 Tbl Canola oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup gluten free baking cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Directions

  1. Place the beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; cover and process until smooth.
  2. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.

Finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment