Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gluten Free Pizza Biscuits


Today I felt inspired to bake something savory.  We were a bread heavy family before going GF and I really do miss bread, and probably always will.  I made some homemade pizza yesterday and decided that those flavors would be delicious in a biscuit form.

Our local Von's has an entire display of their new Eating Right for Gluten Free line of foods.  I bought the baking mix and didn't get fancy with the basic instructions.  I just followed their instructions on the side for biscuits. I then added my savory ingredients and cheese.  I would think this would work with any GF baking mix that has a biscuit recommendation.  I was able to make eight large biscuits and served them with a warm side of our favorite GF pasta sauce.  

These biscuits were so good!  Oregano, garlic and basil along with romano and asiago cheese all mixed in a light and warm biscuit...mmmmm.  I baked half of mine with additional cheese on top.  It was a nice touch, but made them a bit messy.  Consider the extra cheese completely optional, as they are still great without it.

GF Pizza Biscuits

1 1/2 cups GF baking mix
4 Tbl. cold butter, diced
1/2 cup cold milk
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
2 Tbl. grated Italian cheese, such as Parmesan or Romano or Asiago

  • Add flour mix to bowl.  
  • Add in cold butter and mix with hands, pressing butter into the flour.  Mix well, or until flour can slightly stick to itself when pressed.
  • Add in cold milk and mix lightly, just until blended
  • Add in spices and cheese and mix lightly until just incorporated
  • Drop by overfull tablespoon onto cookie sheet with Silpat or sprayed with non-stick spray.
  • (sprinkle tops with additional cheese if desired)
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 16 minutes or just turning golden brown
  • Serve warm with pizza or favorite pasta sauce

Gone in seconds flat!  This recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment