Sunday, January 19, 2014

Product Review: PERDUE Gluten Free Chicken Tenders

Find these in your grocery's lunchmeat and cheese aisle

One of the hardest things I have had to replace since going gluten-free with my daughter, is chicken nuggets.  As with most seven year olds, she loved a good nugget and I loved feeding her a hot lunch whenever possible.  I have tried a few recipes, but honestly I need something sometimes that is just...fast.  I have tried some other frozen nuggets or breaded chicken, and she wasn't happy with those.

You can imagine my delight when we were walking through the refrigerated section for lunchmeats and my daughter picked up a tray of Perdue Gluten Free Chicken Tenders and asked if she could have them.  My instinct was to tell her "no", and then I noticed the Certified GF mark on the label.  It is certainly GF and that certification is a big plus for me!  I read further to check the other ingredients.  Just because something is GF, it doesn't mean that it is good for you.

These Perdue tenders are also made of all white chicken breast, have no added hormones or steroids and come from cage free chickens who eat an all vegetarian diet.  There are also no artificial ingredients!  The ingredient label was promising, but what about preparation?  I have been burned before with GF products that take forever to thaw and make.

The tenders are fully cooked and prepared and ready to heated briefly in the microwave.  I love that they are refrigerated, and not frozen.  They prepare faster and don't have the drippy breading I have found with other frozen brands.

The final test?  A taste test from my 7 year old celiac girl!  We popped in a couple tenders and heated them for just about 40 seconds before serving.  Our girl gobbled them down, declared her love for them and demanded two more!  She loves these so much, we like to heat them at home on school days and keep them in a Thermos container for her to eat at lunch.  Her friends are so jealous she gets yummy hot chicken for lunch.

The tenders were truly a great answer for our daughter.  They are healthy, delicious and easy to prepare.  If you are missing a quick breaded chicken tender for your kids or for a healthy addition to your own salad, these are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment