Saturday, January 11, 2014

Product Review: Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownies

Being a newly gluten free family, I am still getting over the sticker shock of replacement gluten free goods.  I despise wasting money on inferior products, as I am sure you do.  So I have decided to occasionally review a gluten free product and give some honest feedback on how it is.  My goal is to review at least three product a month, so subscribe to the blog to keep up with reviews!


Today we were lucky enough to finally find the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie mix at our store.  We have been waiting for a few months for it to be available locally.  I can normally buy traditional gluten-filled brownie mix for around $2.75/box on sale.  This particular brand and box was almost $4.49/box.  I don't mind paying for quality, so I was hopeful for a wonderful brownie.

Additional ingredients were only melted butter and a couple eggs.  The instructions called for an 8x8, 9x9 or an 11x7 pan size.  I prefer to use 9.5x13 glass dishes and decided to chance it with that.


I was a little worried when I added the eggs and butter, since the batter did not seem "wet" enough.  I also had trouble spreading the batter effectively across the entire pan.  I worked it for a couple minutes and was able to cover the pan bottom.

Batter will appear a little thicker and dry than traditional mixes

I adjusted the baking time to around 24 minutes, since my brownies would be thinner.  They certainly smelled wonderful while baking and my kids were running downstairs long before the timer went off.

Soft, chocolaty and moist 

The batter rose nicely and filled out the pan, and once it was cooled we gave it the kid taste test.  This mix passed with flying colors.  The brownies were moist, chocolaty and chewy.  Brownies are my favorite treat and I can't wait to make some hot brownie sundaes tonight.

We love them!

These brownies were delicious, easy to make and we would definitely buy them again.  I just wish they weren't so expensive and I would buy them more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment