Friday, January 18, 2013

It's An Ugly Cake, But A Darn Tasty One!

So to update, the flu knocked out myself and the girls this week.  Feeling a bit too confident, I bragged on Facebook that the girls would be back in school today.  Apparently the Strep virus, had other things in mind.  Now I have one girl and one boy, each with Strep.  I've seen healthier weeks.

On the plus side, I am saving all kinds of gas money this week by not leaving the house.  I am finally feeling better and my sweet tooth is going crazy staying here in the house.  I crave two things when I get better, McDonalds and chocolate.  Yes, it is kind of gross, but both my parents and my husband will vouch on me for this one.  It is a sure sign of recovery.

Staying at home, means no grocery trips.  I took a look around the kitchen and decided to whip up a diet chocolate bundt cake.  I do really love a good bundt cake.  It is so nicely portioned for you, looks pretty and is a breeze to store.

I have made Weight Watchers 1 point cake-mix cupcakes before.  I liked the light texture and feeling.     The recipe could not be easier.  It calls for one box of cake mix, one can of diet soda and two egg-whites.  Fortunately, I always keep cake box mixes around, for just such a chocolate emergency.

After I mixed everything together, I decided to be extra decadent and add a cup of white chocolate chips.  I think that is the least I deserve after this week, right?

Diet Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

1.  Box moist cake mix, chocolate fudge flavor
2.  Can of Diet Soda (I used diet/caffeine free cola)
3.  2 egg whites
4.  1 cup chocolate chips (I used white, I like the contrast)

Instructions:



Assemble ingredients and pre heat oven to temperature indicated by the cake mix

Mix together first 3 ingredients

Add chocolate chips last 
Fold in chips
Be sure your pan is sprayed with non-stick baking spray

I baked the cake for 40 mins as indicated by the box.  I did use a wooden dowel to check for doneness.  I removed the cake from the oven and let it sit for 5mins and then flipped it over onto a cooling rack to dislodge it from the bundt pan.  

As you can see from my "after" pic, something went kind of wrong.

Oh no!  Breakage!

Looking back, I would say I should have baked it for the full 45 mins and let it cool and additional 5mins before flipping it over.

There were large chunks left in the bundt pan.  I went ahead and used a spoon to get those off the pan.  Let me tell you, it might be an ugly cake, but it tastes fantastic!  Moist with chunks of delicious chocolate and slightly gooey.

If you follow Weight Watchers Points Plus, you are looking at 12 servings with 5points per serving.    Now this cake doesn't taste "diet", the eggs whites give it some heft and it is not as airy as the cupcakes I had made before.  The little bit extra of white chocolate chips really makes the difference.  The mouth feel is much more satisfying!

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment