Thursday, January 17, 2013

Being 40 - The Year Of The Whine

I hadn't really expected turning 40 last year to change me.  I didn't feel any different than at 30, and I was in a much less stressful place than even 5 or 10 years ago.  I really saw it as this badge of honor.

I think someone forgot to remind my vanity that things CHANGE at around 40.  Take my last OB visit for instance.  My lovely, beautiful, and perfectly in shape doctor had the GALL to hand me pre-menopausal pamphlets!  I was in too much shock to do what I wanted (throw them at her skinny young butt) and just sheepishly smiled and said "Thanks" as she walked out.  They didn't even make it to my purse.  They were in the trash in 0.5 seconds.  When did the doctor become YOUNGER than me?  Suddenly I had a new appreciation for older people who would complain about the whippersnapper of a doctor taking care of them.

Started having migraines too.  I wasn't really ready for that one.  I mean, what the heck?  Again, my precious OB doctor sweetly reminded me in an email about my "older" parts and hormones changing and blah blah blah.  Now I have to take more medicine for that everyday.

At least the hubby likes them!
My recent cake-topper for aging?  I started wearing glasses.  Now, maybe you understand the title of this post.  I am officially proclaiming myself a WHINER.  We all have our Achilles heel.  I have lived with my head 100% full of grey hair since I was well before 30 years old.  It started when I was 15 and just got worse every year.  In return, I expected my 20/10 vision to last forever.  Apparently, my eyes were never informed of this expected deal, and last week I got my first pair of glasses.

I really, really do not like them.  And yes, that is whiny and selfish and not appreciative of the rest of my good health.  But it is the milestone of official aging that I was hoping would stay away for at least another 10 years.

Ok, ok, ok.  That is DEFINITELY enough whining for now.  I am all for being positive, but I am not one for being fake.  So let me try to change my attitude.

So here is to turning 41 in a few months.  May the hormones stay balanced, the migraines stay small, the grey hair stay covered, the glasses stay stylish and the OB's butt get big.   Nah....I'm just kidding about that last part.   Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment