Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Family Snuggle Time

Our family is very sensory-oriented.  There a plenty of hugs every morning and afternoon as the kids go and come home from school.  If I get near a sofa, I am usually surrounded by at least two kids within seconds to snuggle up with me.  We even have Family Snuggle time in our bed every night before bedtime.  We take 30 or so minutes to snuggle all together and either talk or watch a little cartoons together.  This time is so precious to me.  It is our way to end the day completely together as a family.  For my husband and I, this is really important for us when we are working.

Sunggling is also imperative if there is any sickness.  I am usually not able to get anything done because the kids will literally have to have a hand or body part on me at all times.

Last night was a first for us.  The two girls and myself, came down with some kind of incredible stomach flu bug at almost the exact same time.  Our bedroom became triage and the site of some hideous side effects of the stomach virus.  We decided to keep the three of us together, while my hubby was nearby on the bottom bunk of my son, in case we needed him.(love that man)

Of course, both the girls wanted me RIGHT next to them, and there was no way I could sleep in the middle of our bed.  So I had my littlest one next to me and the older one laying across the bottom of the bed, horizontally.  That way we could still kinda touch with our feet and reassure all of us that we were still in this together.

Sleeping was not good, because every time I heard a sound, I would wake up to make sure no one was getting sick in their sleep. I would touch each girl reassuringly as they slept, checking for fever and trying to comfort them even as they slept.

I love making them feel better.  Snuggling works like magic to soothe them, to comfort them and let them know how much I love them. 

Then this morning, when I woke up and the girls were already gone, I found that it was I who missed their comforting touch.  Ha!  Guess they have magical powers too?

Daddy taking our pic during family snuggle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment