Saturday, November 10, 2012

Halloween 2012

I know, I know...it has been over a week since Halloween and I am just now writing about it.  As a mom with three kiddos and a job, you will have to learn to deal with my belated postings!

Momma is hiding in this fancy mask
My kids have a long and storied tradition of NOT liking to trick-or-treat.  My son started this at a young age, and it has permeated to the two girls.  All it takes is one crummy neighbor to jump out and scare a kid, to ruin it for the rest of their lives.
Our neighborhood is not ideal either.  We living in an older neighborhood with lots of hills, little lighting and large lots.  This does not make for quick or fun trick-or-treating.  Last year was really the last straw.  All of the kids bought new costumes and then refused to go further than three houses away.  After that, I basically canceled Halloween.

When the subject came up again this year, I let them know that I was not buying any new costumes and we could maybe go to the mall.(even that idea scared them).  As Halloween drew closer, I couldn't help but wonder if my kids would grow up having all these negative memories associated with a pretty fun holiday.  Isn't part of our mommy job to help kids learn about these social traditions?
I was saved when I received an invite to join my friend, Shelby, at her neighborhood to trick-or-treat with her family.  I figured it would be worth a shot, so I haggled out an agreement with the kids where I would take them home if it was scary and they would give it a college try.

Green Lantern, Alice in Wonderland and a FAB Princess

Our trick-or-treat gang
My friend lives in an area with newer, high density housing.  I have to say, some of the great perks of living in this kind of area is that they are filled with mostly younger families and it is easy to get to know everyone.  We even got water for one of the kids at a neighbor's house.
Once we got past the first two houses, my son was running ahead for the rest of the night!  He really loved it.  If there were any houses that even looked like they would be scary, he just skipped it and went right to the next.  My girls were in heaven and it was fun to walk around with crowds of parents and crazy kids.  My favorite house had a large screen TV hooked up outside next to a keg.  My kind of people.


The only bummer of the night was having to call it quits.  Boo to all Halloweens that happen on school nights. But I am not going to be greedy! I am so grateful that we were able to have this memorable Halloween before they grew up!

Kids reaction?  "BEST HALLOWEEN EVER"











No comments:

Post a Comment