Thursday, April 24, 2014

My Birthday Was On Good Friday...Good Grief

April is another wonderful month where we get crazy.  This month, my oldest daughter had two sleepover birthday parties, her karate Sensei had a birthday, as well as myself, my nephew, two uncles, my father and my brother is yet to come!   Exhausting.

Thrilled as I was to get my birthday on a Friday, it fell on THE Friday.  The holiest Friday of the year, the day we remember Jesus dying on the cross for us.  As Catholics, we give up meat on Friday's during Lent and we also fast on Good Friday, as small reminder of what Jesus sacrificed for us.  So birthday celebrations were slightly belated this year.

Hubs surprised the next night by me by taking me to The Crow Bar in Corona Del Mar.  Simply awesome!  I've wanted to go for a few years, so it was perfect.  We splurged on their "Black Label" burger, which is almost too decadent to mention.  Almost.  (proceed with caution, this is good..)

The burger is made from a prime cut of rib-eye that is aged for 21 days.  Once grilled to perfection, it is topped with caramelized onions and butter made with bone marrow.  My side was fresh cut french fries that were fried in duck fat and served with a wickedly good side of truffle aioli and homemade ketchup.
We added a tall, cold frosty draft of Pliny the Elder beer.  Ahhh...and there you have a perfect dinner.

For dessert, we treated ourselves to the delicious and amazing Butterscotch & Salted Caramel Pot de Creme. Salted caramel is a total weak spot, and this one did not disappoint.  Trust me on this.

(please note, while The Crow Bar offers and marks gluten free items on their menu, we opted for a birthday treat since we were with no kiddos :) )

Easter was great, and I have recipes coming that are perfect for any special occasion brunch!

Lucky me!  Dinner and a cute date!

No comments:

Post a Comment