Saturday, December 7, 2013

We Can Slow Down And Still Have a Merry Christmas!

Decorating, singing and snuggling!

I had quite the day planned for the family.  Morning classes for the kids, a church event, visiting Santa in the harbor and then the Christmas tree lighting at our town center.  The season seems to go by so fast, I didn't want the kids to miss out on anything.  Don't we all do that?  We read in the paper, talk to our friends or see things on social media that screams to us, "YOU ARE LETTING YOUR  FAMILY MISS OUT!".  That makes this time of year so stressful on us!  It isn't really the shopping or the presents, it is the stress of trying to have the "perfect" Christmas.  I think we all have a little Clark Griswold in us that wants to provide our family with that ideal Christmas we think we had as kids.

By lunchtime, plans were changing.  My 10 year old suddenly came down with a migraine, which required a dark room and plenty of sleep.  At the same time, the weather was remaining gloomy and threatening.  A high of 47degrees with rain and wind is tough on us So Cal people.  I have to confess, I was feeling plenty bummed to miss the activities I was looking forward to.

I quickly put together a "plan B".  A homemade dinner, hot chocolate and egg nog ice cream for dessert and a couple Christmas movies in front of the fire.  While I was worried the kids would be disappointed, they were not!  It hurts my feelings a little to say that they were actually quite happy.  My deflated mommy-ego wanted to have that picture perfect night and I thought the kids would want that too.

The realization that the kids were not devastated led to another.  This season is not measured by how many events we can get our family to attend, or how many Santa visits we can squeeze the kids into.  No, we need to stop and take a moment and embrace a slightly deeper meaning for the season.  We need to ready our home and our hearts for the arrival of our King.  There are different ways to do that.  One way is remembering that kids are happy just being with us.  It is kind of like when our kids are little and they like the box better than the present.  In this example, we are the box and the overcrowded and sometimes expensive events are the fancy toys.  It's OK to not do everything.  I think as parents we need to hear that from another parent sometimes.  There, you have my permission.  



Wishing you a merry Christmas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment