Wednesday, August 7, 2013

An American Girl Birthday

I do try to have mostly family celebrations for my kids birthdays.  I unfortunately managed to have my two girls 3 years apart...well, 3 years and one week apart!!  Very hard to plan big celebrations when they are so close together.  The older one was having a sleepover, so I struggled with how to give the 7 year old the perfect birthday for her.
Let's go to the American Girl store!

Both of my girls are big fans of American Girl dolls.  I have to admit, I am always amazed at their durability and high quality in their products.  Last year, my daughter was given a matching pajama set for her and her doll.  The elastic came loose and I contacted the company.  I simply printed the mailing tag, filled out a slip with my information and sent it in.  A brand new nightgown was sent back within 3 days!  That my friends, is the kind of customer service that keeps me coming back.

Celebration!
For my daughter's 7th birthday, a simply trip to the American Girl store and cafe in The Grove Los Angeles, turned into a big, fun birthday celebration.

We started with just the girls and myself.  We then invited my mom, who suggested her sister, whose daughter I then asked and her daughter in law.  We also invited a Godmother for good measure.  I very smartly called ahead a month or so to reserve our spot for lunch and to inquire about retaining a personal shopper.

I was given an email and within 24 hours I received an email back from Winnie, an American Girl personal shopper.  She answered all my questions about visiting and suggested we come in the morning, before our lunch, to shop and explore the store.
Thank you Winnie!
We arrived at 10:30am and were quickly whisked away to a private shoppers room in the back of the store.  She explained that it was our homebase for the day.  We were then taken on a complete tour of the two story building and loved the explanation of all of the historical dolls that were on display.  I had never noticed that the doll from the 70's never actually was pictured in the VW bug!  She is too young!  I also loved the detail of the rope bed from the 1800's that helped to coin the phrase, "Sleep tight".  Winnie knew everything there is to know about the dolls.

Touring the store

Winnie knew EVERYTHING!
Private ring up saved time!
Once the tour was over, we gave the girls big red bags and told them to pick out anything and everything they wanted.  Don't freak out!  We weren't going to buy all that, but once they were done, they brought everything down to the shoppers room and everyone that came could pick out what to get their girls for their birthdays.  With such a variety in their bags, there was a price point for everyone and the girls knew they would love whatever they got.  We were even rung up in private, so we were able to avoid the growing line at the front register.

Zoe checking out her new gifts!










Now I know this sounds extravagant.  Having a "personal shopper" and all.  Guess what?  This service is 100% free!  The shopper doesn't work for commission or tips and they make the experience special and personal.  Just be sure to plan in advance and reserve one!







We didn't use the doll hospital or doll hair stylist that day, and we were very sad that the photo studio was down. (only sad thing of the day, since my 7 year old desperately wanted to do that).  

Great shopping girls
We finished just in time to go to our birthday lunch.  I had asked for a patio table and was happy that it was perfect and shaded for all of us.  The girls got their dolls into their doll chairs that were provided by the cafe and we started the lunch with warm mini cinnamon rolls.
Saige is ready for her lunch too

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch.  My pasta with chicken, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes was wonderful and my girls loved their mac n cheese and mini pizza.  Lunch is all inclusive and the dessert was unquestionably my favorite part.  Everyone received a plate with a flower pot filled with delectable chocolate mousse, a small flower shaped cake and a heart-shaped iced sugar cookie.  The mousse was my favorite and I boxed the cookies to take home, since we were so full!

Time to sing Happy Birthday!

You can pay extra for a birthday package.  It included a crown, invites, thank yous and special cake.  We did not do the extra package, and we really didn't need to.  We were completely happy with what we got and loved that she still got a candle and we sang "Happy Birthday" to her.

We loved our incredible day at the American Girl store in Los Angeles and I know we can't wait to go again.
Best Birthday Ever

Thank you American Girl for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment