Sunday, June 30, 2013

No-Bake Energy Bites That The Kids Will Love! GF Friendly!

Yummy after-swim snack!
With summer upon us, the kids are home more and I have less excuses to not make some delicious and healthier snacks for them.  We are still in the middle of a crazy heat-wave and we are trying to keep the oven off as much as possible.  This is a great recipe that uses things I usually have in the pantry.  Aside from the 30 minute set up time, it is super quick to put together.

I have had this recipe for over a year and I have to confess that I have NO idea where I got it from.  It is kept on a printed sheet of paper with remnants of honey and peanut butter on it.  So if you are or know the origin of this recipe - let me know and I'll give full credit.

No-Bake Energy Bites

7 ingredients, but no baking!
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2/3 cups coconut flakes (toast quickly in dry pan on stovetop and stop when light golden brown through most of coconut)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use low-fat or all natural)
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ or flaxseed (great choice for gluten-free)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips - optional (ha ha - so not optional in my house!)
  • 1/3 cup honey (hint, spray a little non-stick spray in measure cup before measuring)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Stir all ingredients into a glass or stainless steel bowl.  


It makes more, mine were stolen!


When mixed thoroughly, cover with wrap and place in fridge for 30 mins.  Then roll into balls (I make mine about the size of a large Whopper candy).  These are a bit hard to roll, but if you take that non-stick cooking spray and really spritz up your fingers it is much easier!
Store in airtight container and KEEP REFRIGERATED!  Refrigerate for at least a few hours to firm up.
They say they last around a week...mine never last that long!





WANTED: For Grand Theft Snacks












No comments:

Post a Comment