Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lemony Potato Salad

Our first 4th of July as a gluten-free family had me worried about what we would be having to serve at our family BBQ.  I know proteins are safe and perfect for grilling season, but what about side dishes?  I soon realized I had nothing to fear, since potatoes are gluten free naturally, all of my favorite potato salad recipes are already GF too!  Hooray for us!

Light, lemony and just creamy enough to satisfy

I wanted a perfect easy side dish to serve and decided that a light homemade potato salad would do the trick.  No heavy mayo stuff today.  I thought about a fresh potato salad, which led me to lemon.  A Lemony Potato Salad, no mayo.  I loved the idea, but missed the creaminess of the mayo!  No problem!  Instead or creamy fat-laden mayo, I went straight for the perfect mayo substitute, nonfat greek yogurt.  It is the perfect substitute.  It is thick and creamy like mayo, but no fat!

I also added a helping of extra virgin olive oil to balance with the lemon flavor and add some good healthy monosaturated fat.  If you are having company, this recipe should serve eight people easily.  If you are having just family, go ahead and cut it in half.  Enjoy!


Lemony Potato Salad

  • 3lbs baby Yukon potatoes, rinsed 
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 3T. fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tbl nonfat plain greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped green onions (green tops only)


Directions:  Cut potatoes into bite size pieces, place in large pot.  When done, add enough cold water to cover, add a heaping pinch of salt and bring to boil on stove.  Boil until fork tender, around 10minutes.  Please check your potatoes after 7 mins!
Drain in colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and place in large nonreactive bowl (no metal).
Whisk together your olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt, salt and pepper and pour over potatoes.
Mix well and taste.  Add any salt and pepper if needed and finish by folding in green onions.

Best to make and let sit for a few hours, but can serve immediately!




No comments:

Post a Comment